History of Dipoli
When the University of Technology (HUT) moved from Helsinki to Espoo in the early 1960s, a design contest was held for what would become the new building for the Student Union of Helsinki University of Technology. The contest was won by Reima and Raili Pietilä, and their 1961 design was used as the blueprint for the Dipoli building. Work began in 1965, and the building was ready for use in the fall of 1966. The name is a pun; it can mean dipole, but also "the second Poli", the second building of the polytechnic students.
In 1993 the building was transformed into a training centre of the university due to high maintenance costs. Besides its primary role, Dipoli is still regularly used for conventions, congresses and student parties. The building houses over 20 conference rooms.
Dipoli was owned from the beginning by the student union of the Aalto University, formed in 2010 through the merge of three Finnish universities: the Helsinki School of Economics (HSE), the University of Art and Design Helsinki (TAIK) and Helsinki University of Technology (TKK). Nowadays Dipoli is owned by Aalto University Properties Ltd.
The unique atmosphere of Dipoli is created by the interplay of light, Finnish pine wood, copper, and natural rocks.
Architect Reima Pietilä (25 August 1923 – 26 August 1993) was a Finnish architect and also very famous internationally. He did most of his work together with his wife Raili Pietilä (born 15 August 1926).
Pietilä saw his work as organic architecture, but also very much modern. Pietilä intellectualised his position, and was well-read in philosophy. He was very much concerned with the issue of a phenomenology of place, epitomised by the Student Union building Dipoli (1961–66) at Helsinki University of Technology.
In Dipoli building there are 50 exterior doors and 500 windows but only four windows are identicals. Acreage of Dipoli is 10.500 m² / 50.000 m³. The highest point are in Hall 1 from the floor to ceiling 9m and from the floor to skylight 14m. The kitchen is also big and there are possible to produce food for 4000 people.
Prestigious Cone Statue is located in front of Dipoli. It is artisitc designed by architect Reijo Perko and technically designed by Heikki Koivikko in 1968.